English text- Restauration of an old build - Tamiya, 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter TF Mk.X

 Original french text can be found here  : https://hangars6.blogspot.com/2020/08/restauration-bristol-beaufighter-mkx.html

 
This kit was first built in 1999 and was damaged in my various home changes. A broken stab and propeller, radio mast gone AWOL.
Over the years, my modelling capabilities have changed and I was painting differently, less thinning, less attention to details and seams ...
Here's what the Beau looked like out of the storage box :

So, I decided it was time for a restauration and a scheme change.
 

New version, new scheme

My first move was to make another Coastal Comand aircraft, but with the Temperate Sea scheme of Extra dark sea grey/Dark slate grey over Sky, and I found a profile of such a Mk.X - except I couldn't find a photo evidence, all Temperate sea scheme I found were Mk.VI.
I then elected to change version - still a Mk.X, but with the radar nose and prop cones of the RAF 22 Sq., in SEAC theater, in Burma, 1944.

First step was paint removal, using Gunze Mr. Levelling thinner.



Next was reworking the various seams that were neglected during the initial build.
The new version needs addition or the radar nose, so ancient TF nose was carefully removed.




Painting

After careful sanding, it was time for a first base coat of gloss black to track the various area needing more attention ... 
And more imperfection there is !

First, the Medium sea grey, base coat is Tamya XF-83, which I find too blueish. It was corrected with Gunze H335



Next, came the AK real color Dark Earth


And dark green, still from AK real color range.
Camoflage was done free hand, with a good 70% dilution and my trusty H&S Evolution with 0.15 needle. Lower fuselage separations were achieved using Tamiya masking tape.




Next came the SEAC white ID stripes

A few overspray needed attention.
;
Next, tab actuators are scratch built, as well has the aerial mast, which was lost many moons ago

Now, waiting for the french post to deliver the decals.

to be continued ....

Commentaires